Saturday, June 10, 2006

Movie #146 - Cars

Title: Cars

Director: John Lasseter

Release Year: 2006

Plot Summary: En route to a big race, cocky race car Lightning McQueen gets waylaid in Radiator Springs, where he finds the true meaning of friendship and family.

Thoughts: I love this movie. How much do I love this movie? As of this edit (6/26/06), I've seen it four times now. I think it's safe to say I love this movie.

Pixar always does a great job of making their movies about the characters instead of the story (though never at the expense of the story), and Cars is no exception. Hell - the country-bumpkin tow truck, which my sister and I were both prepared to hate, ended up being my favorite character in the whole thing, just because he's so genuinely good-hearted that you can't help but love him. =)

As for animation - GORGEOUS. Seriously I've never seen anything like it. Makes me just want to get into my car and drive cross-country. A few dozen times. In a row. I don't know how they manage it, but it's obvious why it takes three to five years for Pixar to finish a movie...

And of course, the little humorous touches and easter eggs will keep you in stitches the whole time. If you keep a sharp eye out, you'll find something new every time you watch.

Storywise, there's nothing particularly new here - big-city boy ends up in the middle of nowhere, where he meets some good folks and learns that fast driving and big bucks don't mean a thing if you don't have friends. Despite the clichés, though, this movie is all heart.

Recommendations: I don't care if the previews didn't interest you (they didn't really interest me). I don't care if you don't like NASCAR (never saw the point at all personally). I don't care if you have the bubonic plague and aren't allowed to come in contact with other human beings. Bring your own bubble, for pity's sake! It is fantastic. :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home